She sat there across from me with a look of despair on her face.
“How much time do you have”, I asked.
“2 months and then I get married. Can you make it happen?”, she replied with a hint of fear in her voice.
“Does a bear do a number 2 in the woods?”, I stated.
It was a rhetorical question of course.
Our girl needed to lose 30 pounds in only 2 months of time to look amazingly hot for her wedding.
While I don’t claim to be a miracle worker, I do know that one of my unique abilities in the world is getting women into ridiculously great shape in a short amount of time.
I’m usually the guy women go to when there is a BIG event they need to look great for. Usually it’s a wedding or getting them to fit into a nice little two piece bikini for their vacation.
It’s not a bad thing to be known for. I’ll take it 😉
So today, I want to reveal to you a couple of the tricks I use to speed up the fat loss process and get these women super quick results in 4, 6, or even 8 weeks of time.
Things to keep in mind:
– I base the nutrition plan on the level of expertise my client has. It goes from getting them to eat real food, to counting calories and at the highest level knowing their macros. Everything comes in levels.
– The workouts we do are formulated in a way to increase fat loss and work synergistically with their nutrition plans
Most things we do are given at a general level and then coached down an individual level. Take the information you learn here and apply one or two to your current plan.
So are you ready to speed up your fat loss? Let’s do this.
Speedy Fat Loss Trick #1 – Hormone Optimization Nutrition
When eating for faster fat loss EVERYTHING counts.
That means the amount of food that goes into your body (aka. calories) and eating foods that optimize your body’s hormones (insulin and growth hormone) ALL count towards building an efficient fat loss environment for your body.
Before coming to me my clients usually have done some damage in the form of overeating some pretty horrible foods.
So the first two weeks of our plan is to essentially all about optimizing their body by improving their insulin sensitivity by depleting their carbs.
We also have them push back their first meals a little later into the day to promote growth hormone release. If they can’t do this then we have them workout in a fasted state for the same reason as above.
All in all this gets us faster results because we deplete glycogen and water from the body while improving their bodies ability to process fat as energy and build muscle.
This little eating trick is in addition to the carb loading, carb backloading, sometimes intermittent fasting and other little nutrition techniques we use depending on a clients situation.
When we look at the big picture we have to understand that there are so many moving parts to a clients nutrition strategy.
In the end we use tools like the ones stated above to optimize our clients bodies for fat loss as well as other sneaky strategies to limit the amount of calories they ingest into their bodies.
Speedy Fat Loss Trick #2 – Metabolic Finishers
While I’m still a big believer in traditional cardio and doing interval training, they are definitely not the end all and be all of finishing a workout.
Enter Metabolic Finishers.
A metabolic finisher is an intense exercise or series of exercises performed at the end of the workout that’s designed to ensure that you’ve burnt every last drop of gas from the tank.
They burn fat, improve conditioning, are time efficient and are easier on the joints than your traditional 30 minute post workout cardio routine.
An example of a Metabolic Finisher would be a 20/10 Tabata.
Tabata’s are 20 seconds of work with a 10 second rest period done 8 times (4 minutes total). When done correctly they are one of the most masochistic ways to end a workout.
We use hundreds of different variations of the Tabata in our workout but the simplest (most times best) way to perform a tabata is with one exercise over the 4 minute period.
Squat and Press Tabata’s – 20 seconds on with 10 seconds rest in-between done in 8 rounds.
Essentially you’d do as many squat and presses as possible in the 20 second time period while using the 10 second rest to catch your breath.
Use a weight that is 60% of your 1RM (1 rep maximum) and put 100% intensity into the workout.
Oh, and make sure to clean up the pile of sweat you’ll leave on the ground after doing this finisher.
Metabolic Finishers are quick and a perfect addition to any fat loss program if you want to get that extra little boost to your metabolism and calorie burning.
Speedy Fat Loss Trick #3 – Rotating Your Metabolic Resistance Training Circuits
Let’s be honest: Most ways people go about exercising to lose fat ultimately does nothing for the metabolism.
Spend 45 minutes on the treadmill and maybe burn 1/10th of one pound of fat.
<Sarcasm> Wow. That’s amazing. </Sarcasm>
The one research proven method of working out and boosting your metabolism is Metabolic Resistance Training.
In fact, research has shown that a specific form of exercise called Metabolic Resistance Training (MRT) can increase your metabolism for up to 48 hours post workout – that’s TWO DAYS of elevated metabolism from a single 40-minute workout.
But the HIDDEN truth that most fat loss experts don’t want to tell you is that after a certain period of time their method of circuit training starts becoming less and less effective at burning fat on your body.
Why is this?
The fact is this: After a certain time of doing any type of exercise your body start to get MORE and MORE efficient.
What this means is that your body gets used to the rest times, the movements and even the work periods to every single program that you use for about 4 weeks of time.
Eventually your body gets so used to the way you are working out that and so efficient that you end up burning less calories with less of an effect on your metabolism.
Most coaches approach this by doing more heavier weights and …shudder …more volume (30 Olympic style snatches anyone?)
How do you get around this?
The trick I use with my clients at my transformation centre is to rotate the method of circuits every 3-4 weeks with an entirely new stimuli of metabolic training.
The first 3 to 4 weeks we’ll use a timed circuit of 45 seconds of work with 15 seconds of rest.
The next 3 to 4 weeks we’ll use an AMRAP circuit of 10 minutes to get as many rounds of 3-4 exercises done within the allotted time frame.
We’ve actually developed a system that ensures that the workouts never get boring and our fat loss workout formula keeps your fat burning at an incredibly high rate 24/7 …but we’ll reveal that a little later.
If your goal is fat loss then always make sure your body is kept inefficient in your workouts by varying your sets, rest, tempos and, of course, increasing the weight to ensure you keep your body in an environment that promotes fat loss.
While all of these speedy fat loss tricks will enhance the results you are looking for in the gym, the main thing I preach to my clients is …patience.
While these tips will ultimately speed up your fat loss you have to realize that Rome was not built in a day and all of the weight that you have gained in the past years WON’T come off in just a couple of weeks.
Your results in the gym will ultimately be the result of all the actions you do on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. So burn your ships and get going.
Take these speedy fat loss principles and apply them for some better results.
And unlike our friend in the beginning of this blog post Don’t wait until it’s crunch time to get the body you want.
GET STARTED NOW
and stay awesome,
Ps. I’m putting the finishing touches on the launch of my first ever 6 Week Transformation Challenge Online. This is the same program that’s helped my clients lose anywhere from 13 to 29 pounds of fat in ONLY 6 weeks.
I’ll be opening it up within the next two weeks and beta testing it with 50 motivated women.
Stay tuned for more details.
We are officially 6% into the year of 2014 …are you 6% closer to those goals you set out for yourself?
In my 11 years in the fitness industry and helping thousands of clients transform their bodies, I’ve settled into some transformation principles that have helped everyone from the stay at home mom to the high performing CEO of a multi million dollar company.
My recommendation is to take the ones that resonate with you the most and discard what you don’t deem necessary.
If you jive with this list then print it out. Choose one or two principles to apply to your life every week. Making one small improvement every single week leads to 50 improvements for the year.
Imagine what your life would look like with 50 awesome improvements. It would be life changing.
So are you ready? Let’s go.
1. Use Metabolic Resistance Training as your main workout at least 3x a week.
2. Challenge yourself by using heavy weights that you can do with perfect form
3. Build your workouts around the big 5 (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Pull Ups and Military presses)
4. Build your workouts around weights being the primary mode of working with cardio being secondary.
5. Do the ultimate fat loss cardio program by doing 10-12 minutes of interval training followed by a nice 20 minute jog.
The interval training releases free fatty acids into your body while the long cardio run burns them off. If you want an amazing cardio program for fat loss my friend Rusty has one of the best here.
6. Focus on your muscles while contracting. Stop thinking taking your mind somewhere else and really focus on the contraction of the exercise to get the BEST benefits.
7. Change up everything in your workouts from the tempo you do the exercises to the exercises themselves to the sets, reps…everything. The more inefficient we make your body during the workouts the more it will be challenged to deal with the new stress.
8. Try working out in a fasted state. Again, my friend Rusty has a great blog about this here
9. Take BCAA’s with your workouts especially when working out fasted. BCAA’s will keep your muscle and give you more endurance/energy to attack your workouts.
10. GRIP your weights like they owe you money. The grip is super important because it keeps your shoulder capsule locked in thus avoiding injury. When doing any exercise make sure you grip as hard as you can. Do this and feel the difference it makes for your body.
11. Screw your feet into the ground while doing squats and deadlifts. Screw your hands into the ground when doing pushups.
12. When working out with weights wear shoes with soles that minimize the sole. The closer your feet are to the ground the better especially when doing lower body exercises. Vibram five fingers and New Balance Minimus’ are best.
13. Monitor your body fat levels, caloric intake and amount of activity as well. Too little body fat mixed with too little caloric intake along with TONS of activity (MRT, cardio, etc..) will stress your body out and will mess with your hormones.
14. When training save your joints by stopping one rep before failure 95% of the time.
15. Use Dynamic Mobility Warm Ups prior to each training session
16. Alleviate nagging pains and improve your body’s soft tissue by using Self Myofascial Release
17. Reduce the amount of meals you eat in a day to get a better control on caloric intake.
18. Drink a litre of water first thing in the morning. Bonus points for putting a pinch of Sea Salt in there.
19. Replace all caloric drinks with water while you are at it.
20. Get yourself under a regular eating schedule and train your hunger like a dog
21. If it jives with you then skip your breakfast
22. If you are prone to eating more at night then push your meals back a little farther
23. Become a Diet Agnostic. Understand that all diets work and all diets don’t. It’s a process of finding which one works best with you.
24. Eat high fat high protein breakfasts for greater satiety and more energy. Charles Poliquin talks a great deal about this here.
25. Keep the bulk of your carb intake to after your Metabolic Workouts
26. Keep your workouts as Inefficient as possible by switching up the ways you do your circuit training.
Play around with density circuits, tabata’s, timed circuits, complexes etc.. Stick with one type of circuit training for anywhere from 3-4 weeks then switch it up. The more inefficient we make your body at doing a specific modality the faster your fat loss will be in the end.
27. If you’re beginning then fill yourself up with REAL FOOD that was only bought from the outside of the grocery store
28. Know what your caloric intake is.
29. When you get the hang of that then find out what your macro intake is.
30. If you are up to it then do a 24 hour fast once a week. The benefits of fasting are too much to put into this blog post. Do yourself a favour and read Eat Stop Eat. This book should be the one of the first books you read when it comes to nutrition.
31. Keep alcohol intake to a couple drinks a week. You cannot change your body if you’re binging on alcohol every single week. You just can’t.
32. If you intend on drinking on a particular day then minimize the damage better by keeping your diet as low fat as possible.
33. If you do drink on one day then promise yourself to hit the gym the next day and for bonus points hit the sauna to sweat out the rest of the alcohol out of your system. It also helps with hangovers.
34. Learn the art of flexible dieting. This goes along with knowing your calories and macros. When you know exactly the amounts of each macronutrient you can put into your body you can choose the meals you eat (clean or not)
35. Take your fitness and nutrition education from practitioners instead of “experts”. Make sure that the person you are listening to actually has clients they work with and test their theories on. It’s one thing to regurgitate research studies. It’s a totally different level if you are constantly testing these theories on real subjects every single day.
36. Meditate at least 3 minutes daily. For intermediate people meditate at least 10 to 15 minutes daily. Meditation has been proven to literally change your brain. Find out why here
37. Get rid of all of the toxic people in your life. ‘Nuff said.
38. People who make complete transformations in their bodies always think, “Both”. It’s never an either or thing when it comes to changing your body. The best transformations (and least stressed out) will be those that are able to hold two separate opposing thoughts in their mind and make room to allow both of them to be true.
39. Use the acronym #NFE in your life. NFE means “No Freaking Excuses”. If you want to put a swear word in the middle then by all means go ahead.
Sure you’re a little tired. Sure you have 3 kids and work a 9 to 5 job. But I’m sure you can find someone on this world who has the same situation as you do that is achieving the goals you want to achieve. If you want something bad enough in life stop making excuses and start doing something about it.
40. There is no “secret” to transforming your body. It takes a good plan, plenty of support and A LOT of hard work.
41. Understand that transforming your body is an evolution. When you reach one goal you’ll most likely start to reach for another one. It’s all about evolving yourself, your knowledge and your body. Wherever you are start now. Stop procrastinating and take the first step to go after the things you want in life.
42. When you transform your body it will look like a mountain. You’ll see all of the things you need to do and will get overwhelmed with the enormity of the task. My recommendation is just take the first step and then the next step after that. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
43. Don’t take this fitness and nutrition stuff so seriously. Avoid getting into arguments about which diet is best because they all work. Stop criticizing other people based on their way of eating. Everyone deserves to do what they think is best to change their bodies. Let them be and focus on yourself.
44. Surround yourself with people who are focused on achieving the same goal you are. You are the average of the 5 people you hang around the most. Choose them wisely.
45. Love your body. No seriously …LOVE your body. Your results will be in direct reflection to how much you love your own freaking body.
46. Celebrate the small successes. You don’t realize it but you’re getting better every single day. Start celebrating each and every little (or big) success in your life.
47. Learn from your failure. Failure is not final. Neither is success. Learn from both and realize that nothing is ever final unless you make it so.
“Don’t let your successes go to your head & don’t let your failures go to your heart.” ~ Will Smith
48. Own yourself and your results. Take responsibility for everything that has happened thus far in life and take total 100% responsibility.
49. Control the things you can and let go of the things you can’t.
50. Be an example of what you want to see in the world. Don’t shove your ideas or ideologies down other people’s throats but instead make it a point to set the example. Those that follow will follow and those that don’t won’t.
In the end this is all about being the best YOU you can possibly be. You don’t need six pack abs or need to be skinny to be loved. Be in love with yourself.
If you have some changes to make then take action and start the process to making your goals a reality. No one is going to do it for you. You gotta get up and get going.
Take *some* of these 50 ways to transform your body and start applying it right now. Take that first step and then the next step after that. This is a wake up call.
Realize that you’re an amazing human being. Start acting like it.
Ola my ninja, I’m back from Costa Rica and I have thrust myself into the cold winter of Toronto.
Just gotta say that the transition to normal city life was a bit on the tumultuous side; anytime you go from searing hot weather to minus 20 it will always be an “experience”.
But I’m alive, grateful, and ready to create …so let’s DO this.
Now everyone loves predictions and I’m no stranger.
After a good 11 years in the fitness industry I’ve seen my share of trends come and go and it’s my turn to make some predictions on the next year of fitness.
Are you ready? Let’s go.
Fitness Prediction #1 – Transformation Programs Will Be On The Rise
Transformations programs will be the hot thing in the fitness industry and for good reason:
They are INCREDIBLE at getting results. My girl Jen lost OVER 60 pounds doing a few of the ones I run at my gym (turn on images)
There is no other type of program that incorporates a trainers skill at partnering workouts, with a solid nutrition plan, while developing a community and accountability than a 4-6 week transformation program.
Heck, I do them myself and have great success with my Transformation Centre.
My prediction is that you’ll see more than your fair share of them pop up in 2014.
What You Should Do
Just make sure you are ready for them because they can be INTENSE.
Also be sure to choose the right one that fits your style of doing things and has a track record of past success to back it up.
All in all I fully recommend joining one if you haven’t already. They are the perfect storm of intense super focused results done in a group support atmosphere.
I’ll be coming out with one in February so be on the lookout for that.
Fitness Prediction #2 – Specialized Workout Programs Will Be All The Rage
You’re going to see more products come out in the fitness industry that focus on specific modalities of training whether it be TRX, Kettlebell or even dumbbell training (not sure why someone hasn’t done this yet)
You’ll even see specific programs built based on working out legs, bis, tris, shoulders, abs etc etc..
The one thing you should take away from this is that while some of these programs will be awesome (like Chris Lopez’s Kettlebell Evolution and Dan Long’s suspension revolution) they should be looked at as…
They are all tools to get you to your goal and should not be used as the primary source.
Just like you wouldn’t use a hammer as your primary tool of choice, you shouldn’t choose one specific implement to hit your fat loss goals.
What You Should Do
Use them all. It is what the fitness gods have intended you to do.
I’d recommend grabbing those specialty programs for great ideas and philosophies on how to use them …AND THEN integrate them into your regular training.
Fitness Prediction #2 – Paleo and Intermittent Fasting (IF) Will Become The “IT” Diets of 2014 …and They Will Also Come Under HEAVY Criticism In 2014.
Full Disclosure: I love both and use both in varying ways because it keeps dieting simple and easy to understand.
The quickest way I know to get an absolute beginner to lose weight is to put them on a paleo/16-8 intermittent fasting regimen.
Paleo = REAL FOOD
16/8 Intermittent Fasting = 3 meals a day
= Good to Great Results for someone starting out
It’s a neat way of eating to limit their calories and have beginners starting to eat real food (another way to limit calories).
Also, if you look at the most searched terms for diets in Google, you’ll find that paleo and IF are pretty much #1 and #2 trending.
This will not change in 2014.
They are both very effective ways to get in shape and enjoy optimal health.
On the other hand…
You will have your detractors. In fact, some of them will have been people who have stout supporters of either philosophy in the past.
They will come out with every research study and excuse in the book to debunk the eating philosophies of Paleo and IF.
What You Should Do
Take the “It is what it is” approach.
I am of the big belief that at some point of your nutrition evolution you should get to knowing how many calories your body can sustain and to a greater degree know how many macros your body needs.
And everything happens in levels:
Level One of eating for fat loss would be eating Paleo and in some sort of IF format.
Level Two would be starting to count your calories.
Level Three would be starting to track your carb and protein macros.
Level Four would be tracking your macros and advancing to the next of my fitness predictions…
Fitness Prediction #3 – IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) Will Be The NEW Nutrition Strategy of Choice For Most Trainers
If It Fits Your Macros will rival Paleo and IF as the new diet of choice for most personal trainers …but should you do it?
The crux of the philosophy is that you have a specific amount of macros that go into your body that support the body you want to have.
The advantage of this diet is that you get to fit almost any type of food into your diet as long as it fits your macros thus allowing you to be flexible with your diet.
The downside is that it is for the more advanced dieter. Preferably one that has gone through the 4 levels as stated above. It requires you to weigh out your foods, do calculations and really track your meals to a “T”.
The other downside is that IIFYM supporters see this as the end all and be all.
I would not recommend this to anyone who is just starting to diet but for the more advanced person I would let them have a go at it.
With my own clients I make sure they go whole foods and get a handle on calorie counting before even going down the IIFYM route.
There will be factions of Paleo, IF and IIFYM followers that will battle tooth and nail for their diet of choice.
What You Should Do
Choose which level on the dieting scale you are on and advance from there.
Just like stated in the specialty programs these different diets are “tools”
in your toolbox. Use them accordingly.
If you are advanced then combine them in a way that suits your own
personal way of eating.
What You Shouldn’t Do
Do not be a follower. Do not be the one to get into arguments with friends or trainers about which one is best. Do not criticize others on their diet of choice either.
Criticizing diets never helps anyone get ahead.
Each one serves its own purpose so use them as they serve you.
Diets are more like a “Choose Your Own Adventure” Book but in this case you get to combine the best aspects of each one and make it your own.
So learn all of them and have fun with it 🙂
Fitness Prediction #4 – Dynamic Mobility and Self Myofascial Release (SMR) Will Be the Staple Way Everyone Starts Their Workouts
Dynamic Warm Ups, SMR and Neuromuscular Activation will be THE way everyone in the gym starts their workouts.
There is no other sequence in the world that allows you to avoid injury, increase your strength, speed, power, flexibility and endurance in a matter of minutes.
Gone are the days of starting your workout with a light jog coupled with long (ineffective) stretches.
We know by now (and proven by research) that these types of warms ups do nothing for the body and can increase your propensity for injury.
There is a revolution towards getting your body ready dynamically and treating your fascial tissue after hours of sitting in your desk chair.
How do I know?
Almost all of the gyms here in Toronto have foam rollers available and when I walk into the gym I can always catch one or two people warming up their bodies the RIGHT way.
Sure, one or two people may not seem like a lot but a year ago I didn’t see ANYONE doing dynamic warm ups.
So I expect this number to increase in 2014.
On a side note: No one looks at me funny when I roll my butt on a medicine ball. I think they finally understand what I’m doing OR just accept the fact that I’m a weirdo.
What You Should Do
Obviously learn how to warm up your body dynamically in a timely effective manner.
Would you trade 6 minutes for a faster, stronger, more injury resistant body?
Then try this program ==> 6 Minute Superhuman
Fitness Prediction #5 – There Will Be Another Fad Fruit Or Miracle Pill That Will Rob Unsuspecting People of their Hard Earned Dollars in Hopes of Not Doing Work to Get in Shape….
…But in the end you won’t fall for it.
Now for a little bit of bad news….
There will be another crazy diet fad that will get everyone excited in hopes to not have to hit the gym or have to change their diet to Transform their body.
There is one that comes around every single year and I don’t expect this year to be any different.
What You Should Do
AVOID IT. Like the plague. Wait for at least 2 years of peer reviewed research to prove its validity.
In the end take it upon yourself that you’ll work hard and do the right things to get yourself into the shape you deserve to be in.
Fitness Prediction #6 – The Fitness Industry Will Become MORE Transparent
As we evolve so will the internet. And along with that evolution the internet will make things a lot more transparent for the fitness industry.
The internet and the fitness industry is a very interesting subject to me because most times I find people with passion putting out products that they really believe can make a difference in the world.
And on the other hand I’ll find people who put out programs and services just because it’s the most profitable thing to do at the time.
I may be judging a bit harshly but I’m sure you can see the differences pretty clearly by now.
I truly believe that the fitness industry will become way more transparent and people will start to see what separates the TRUTH from the BS.
Consumers will get smarter and we, as fitness professionals, must keep our swords sharp to keep up with the vast amount of research and information that comes into our hands and have the wherewithal to know what to do with it.
What You Should Do
For one you should stick with the fitness experts that resonate the best with who you are inside. These are the emails where you look forward to hearing from them and learning what they have to offer you and if that includes me then awesome. I love you back.
The next thing you should do is unsubscribe from the email lists that you don’t resonate with.
Yes, if that includes me then unsubscribe from here as well. The fact is that you should only be getting information from people that speak directly to what jives with you as a person.
Avoid the dreaded loop of fitness A.D.D. and stick with the peeps that speak to your heart.
You are your own person and you get the ultimate choice as to what you allow into your mind.
Make that choice and make it well.
FINAL Fitness Prediction #7 – This Will Be Your BEST Year EVER
This will be the year that you get into your BEST shape and live out your best year you’ve ever lived.
This will be the year you understand that you are never too old for anything in life.
This is the year you realize that as long as you’re willing to put some hard work and elbow grease into it you’ll know that you can achieve anything you want.
This will be the year you put INTENSE focus on your goals for 2014 (you did these right?) and every action, every workout, every piece of food that goes into your mouth will be towards the goal you set out for yourself.
This will FINALLY be the year where you get rid of all excuses and become the person you’ve always dreamed of becoming because you realize…
…that if someone had done it before then you can definitely do it.
Let’s make 2014 our BEST year yet. Stay focused on your goals and do something every single day to achieve them.
You can do this. All you gotta do is get movin.
Talk soon my ninja and make sure to do something every day that gets you closer to your goal.