Face masks are an essential component of our every day lives since the beginning of the pandemic. It serves to act as a barrier between the droplets that travel into the air because of our breathing, especially when we talk, cough, or sneeze.
Which mask do I buy?
There is now a wide range of masks you could choose from in the market. But don’t let this variety confuse you into selecting the wrong one.
Here are some dos and don’ts while buying a mask:
- Do not get masks that are meant for medical personnel. These masks are already in demand by hospitals around the world and they should be reserved for those who are taking care of infected people in high-risk environments.
- Do get a cloth mask. These masks should have multiple filters within them to keep you safe. Cloth masks are widely available and easy to use, which makes them the best option when it comes to masks.
- Don’t get masks that contain valves. While these masks filter the air you breathe in, they don’t filter the air you breathe out, thus compromising the people around you.
Dos and Don’ts while wearing a mask
- Make sure it covers your mouth and nose at the same time.
- Make sure it fits properly so that it is snug and comfortable while not restricting your breathing.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds before putting the mask on.
- Remove the mask by the ear loops.
- Wash your cloth mask often in hot water and dry them completely.
- Take masks with you anywhere you go.
- Maintain social distancing even while wearing a mask.
- Get your kids to wear masks too.
- Don’t touch masks often to adjust it.
- Don’t touch the front of the mask, which has a high possibility of containing germs.
- Don’t take your mask down when you want to talk to someone within six feet.
- Don’t wear a wet mask.
- Don’t wear a mask that has been used before but not cleaned.
- Don’t touch eyes, mouth, or nose while removing a mask.
- Don’t make children below 2 years of age wear masks as it could restrict their breathing.
To keep yourself safe, get superior quality masks, like the ones listed on Breathe Safely.